Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Out with the "old"

At 20+ inches long, this Lionel no. 18271 SD90MAC was the largest locomotive on my layout. But in keeping with current CPR practices, I voluntarily idled #9129 in early 2010. I'd come to love this model, but contemporary is my thing - if the real railroad isn't running them, I probably shouldn't either. Typically I'll store retirees on a dead line before I gather the courage to post them for auction. Not always easy to move forward, but the process provides the essential capital to run a railroad and acquire more modern power.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kent! Don't send that unit to the auction block yet! AFAIK, CP is still using some of them. Jan Poff

Kent J. said...

Word has it that CP will no longer tolerate the SD90MAC shortcomings over the Mountain divisions. I've sent my unit back east and ordered up more clean, green GE Hybrid power (from Lionel). -- KJ