Monday, February 22, 2010

UPS-date an MTH trailer

My mini-modal terminal has plenty of space to display stacked containers, but absolutely no room to park box trailers. Rather than skip out on this part of the intermodal equation, I added a couple of MTH no. 20-98142 CP Rail flat cars to complement the stack train staged in my layover yard. Trouble is, the CP Rail 40’ trailer riding on each car sports a design that’s decades too old for present day.
To update the trailers, I first used extra-fine sandpaper to etch away the CP multi-mark logo. After separating the trailer from its chassis, I glued on strips of Evergreen styrene to represent rub rails. Next, I cleaned, primed, and then painted the trailer Polly Scale no. F414239 E/L gray with no. F414299 flat aluminum trim. Before re-assembling the trailer, I added Andrea no. 26 false eyelashes to represent anti-spray skirts and used white glue to attach the paper UPS logo that I printed from the UPS Web site. Finally, I added Microscale decals and weathering to the front, roof, and wheels for an in-service look.

No comments: