Monday, February 22, 2010

Inspired by the Winter Games

Since my latest postings are the direct result of my late night Winter Games viewing habits, I ought to add a touch of the Olympic spirit to my layout, right? My post banners are scaled-down color printouts of art posted in a City of Vancouver news release.
To install banner a on my Lionel no. 12804 highway light, I first wrapped a band of black stripping tape around the post. Next I twisted one prong of a Lionel no. 1666E-11 cotter pin around the band and left the other prong extending at a 90-degree angle to the post. After folding the paper banner in half, I used a dab of white glue to attach the two sides. At the top of the banner I left a narrow opening that’s large enough for the prong to slip through.
I raised the Life-Like no. 1851 fire hydrant above grade using a piece of styrene tubing and added a locator flag made from piano wire and yellow stripping tape.

3 comments:

jumijo said...

Ingenious ideas for the banner, fire hydrant, the locator flag, and even the Legos on top of the cab of 8014!

Jim A.

Unknown said...

Kent, OMG, I just discovered your layout, and it is awesome! Where have I been? Ok, I've been a little busy, but no excuse. The fine details with the curb, gutters, Olympic signs, patches of grass, road bed, and weathered track makes it very realistic looking. Please don't take this as criticism, but one suggestion is to shine some bright light over the upper sky and tops of buildings in your photos. The shaded sky is the first give away. I just recently figured this out for myself and it has made a big difference in the initial view in terms of realism of my photos.
I just bought the MTH CN ES44 and SD40T and should get them soon. Your CN photos make me appreciate them even more. I also will soon start experimenting with graffiti. It is amazing that nearly all freight cars do have some graffiti. I feel compelled as well to do some for the sake of realism. Did your artist use all sharpies? Is it possible with an airbrush? Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of your stuff and getting some new ideas. Great work! Rich Battista

Kent J. said...

Thanks for the tips on layout lighting, Rich! Much appreciated. I'm in the midst of changing out my warm white fluorescent tubes for photo-ready full-spectrum (5000K) lamps, so I hope that'll help too. If could do it all over again, I'd likely paint my backdrop an overcast shade of light gray.
My CPR Hopper was decorated using acrylics, but most of my urban art comes by way of decals and Sharpies - a tip found in the Feb 2010 issue of CTT.
BTW, I just bought your latest DVD, Toy Trains On Tracks II. Superb layout and production quality! Love the idea for modernizing the PRR signal bridge!