Thursday, February 4, 2010

Intermodal ambitions

I've been an avid fan of intermodal modeling since the 1989 release of Lionel’s no. 12741 operating intermodal crane. And in 1995 came K-Line's O gauge well cars to fuel my desire for a working container terminal on my first "large" layout. Then I came to a harsh realization. Even on my 14 x 48-foot layout, there just isn't enough space to build an expansive container terminal featuring long cuts of well cars, walls of containers, a parade of chassis, and mobile container lifts of all sizes. After reviewing my original plan, I decided I could indeed fit most of these features on the layout -- though not in one location or in any great quantity. In the holdover yard tracks, I could easily showcase an idle fleet of weathered K-Line Thrall and Lionel Husky Stack well cars and MTH articulated spine cars. But what about the walls of containers and other accoutrements associated with the expansive terminal operation in downtown Vancouver, B.C.?

1 comment:

Paul C. said...

I share the interest but Beware: I discovered too late that the modern double high container cars do not fit in most Lionel bridges. Unlike the real world, the latter cannot be expanded for better clearance.