Monday, February 15, 2010

In with the "factory new"

Thanks to previous field tests (product review) performed on a comparable Lionel no. 28264 UP SD70ACe, I could quickly move my two new CN SD70M-2 diesels into revenue service following a few minor modifications. First, I wanted to make #8002 and #8014 look “factory new” by adding a rusty face to the wheels. As shown in CTT’s subscriber-only video with Mike Reagan, Director of Customer Service at Lionel, there’s a handy feature that makes it easy to remove the trucks from newer Lionel diesels and apply Polly Scale no. F414323 rust-color paint using a cotton swab. Next, to represent the equipment domes that weren’t included on #8014, my son and I used a dab of plastic cement to secure a few suitable white LEGO bricks atop the cab. Yes, LEGOs on my O gauge trains (and throughout my layout)! Finally, after christening them with Labelle Industries no. 107 multi-purpose oil, both units entered service in charge of CN C70751-15, a 16-car Alberta coal drag destined for Roberts Bank.

No comments: