Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Canadian Pacific domed observation car

So now that I’ve acquired a fine set of Lionel no. 34582 Canadian Pacific F units, I wanted to add something exceptional to my executive train. While the obvious choice would be to simply purchase the complementary set of Lionel no. 25600 streamlined passenger cars, I couldn’t justify the expenditure.
Instead, I opted to customize my own low budget Canadian Pacific domed observation car with a bit more detail than a standard issue postwar streamliner. I started with an older Williams observation car that I bought at a swap meet for $15. I found the repro “Canadian Pacific” stripes, a repro vista dome, and K-Line rubber diaphragms at another show. Using a razor saw, Dremel rotary tool, and a file, I was able to cut a perfectly sized opening into the aluminum roof and insert the dome I tinted with Tamiya X-25 Clear Green paint. I finished the car by adding LED bulbs to the interior, wipers to the dome, and O scale metal grab irons and vents along the roof.
As the story goes, the real CPR ordered one or more special Lionel no. 2551 domed obs cars to display in Canadian Pacific resort hotels across Canada. I’ve never seen or heard of any paperwork that confirms this is true, but I’ve seen photos of a no. 2551 custom car/display supposedly made by Lionel.

2 comments:

Sai Prakash .K SEO said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lassia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.