Sunday, January 2, 2011

New year, new projects

From a partially finished Vancouver Waterfront Station to a North Vancouver lumber mill and wharf to a key junction at the center of the layout, I've got no less than a half-dozen projects to finish in 2011. But for each unfinished project, there’s bound to be another completed area that also requires my attention.
The first such area to come to light in 2011 is this Ross Custom Switches curved 0-72/0-54 turnout on the main line. I’m a fan of RCS products, but I was frustrated to find that the semi-fixed pilot on my Lionel ES44 Hybrid won’t clear the DZ-1000 switch machine that came with the turnout. I’ve got a replacement DZ-2500 motor that I could use, but I’m considering if I’d rather install a slow-motion under layout switch motor. 

4 comments:

Paul C. said...

Glad to see the blogs are back and that you acquired the new Lionel unit. Is it as good as the review I sent you? Also could you not first try moving the switch motor to the opposite side of the turn-out?
Pauk

Kent J. said...

Good idea, Paul. Trouble is, the switch motor interferes with other locos when mounted on the opposite side. The looks and performance of the Hybrid makes it worth every penny! -- Kent

Kent J. said...

After purchasing a Z-Stuff for Trains no. DZ-2500 switch machine to study and test-fit, I decided to budget for a complete upgrade to all of my DZ-1000 motors. Not yet sure how the five wires of the DZ-2500 fit with the three wire setup (via Lionel ASC devices) of the DZ-1000, but I rather like the slow-motion and low-profile of the new device.

Sai Prakash .K SEO said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.